Followers

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Alaska - Days 2 and 3

Alaska is still rocking! Yesterday we went to Seward and took a boat into the bay and fished for silver salmon - My friend Bear and I took our limit (it's funny - I'm pretty strict catch-and-release back home, but knowing that all of these fish are going to die anyway... and the fact that they're so dang tasty all smoked up... makes me feel fine about keeping a few), then went on a massive hike up a mountain with no trails and lots of moose poop - pretty intimidating!

Today is our only day that we don't have a charter trip booked, so we walked across the street to the Kenai and caught some sockeye. I had already caught quite a few, so I picked up my FIVE weight and put on a fresh 1X leader with FIVE split shot (I felt like DURNIAK!) and a big salmon fly.

+
+
____________________
=


I only enticed one to eat with this set up (unless you count the CARCASS I snagged - somebody practiced a little fillet-and-release!), but it was in the 12-15-pound range... and in a raging river! It was a tough battle to say the least - I think it would have been tough on my eight weight, so this was definitely a stretch!



Anyhow, this place is unbelievable! I could definitely live here during the summer. I wonder if there's a way to make that happen... Alaska in the summer, Belize or the Bahamas in the winter... spring and fall back in good ol' Georgia... man, that sounds nice!

1 comment:

  1. I think it was the pink shirt you were rocking that attracted that fish! :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

New Newburytonfieldville, New England, United States

What is your favorite fly rod maker?

Cannon

Cannon
Here's a dandy of a striper (16 lbs) I caught while fly fishing with Henry Cowen on Lake Lanier.